Friday 5 August 2011

My guest vegetable gardener this week-Biddy Wells




This week I'm starting a short series on guest vegetable gardeners.

My first guest is new to vegetable growing, I asked her about the highs and lows of her first summer.

Biddy Wells- Actor and drama tutor

Best bits
'the best part is feeding my friends, and being proud to have grown it all myself" says Biddy. "Wondering what to cook up for dinner and wandering down to the veg  beds and knocking up something from whatever is available- broad bean and courgette rissotto, leek and potato soup, a bowl of strawberries for pudding."

Worst bits
"all my peas were  full of tiny maggots, I didn't manage to eat any of them"

Things you would do differently next year
"I'd plant less broccoli- I had so much of it I couldn't eat it quickly enough, a lot of it bolted and ended up on the compost heap"

Things you would do more of
"I loved planting seedlings and plug plants-it gave me an instant veg plot, they were very successful"

Next week Joan Cluer
A vegetable gardener for over 60 years


No comments:

Post a Comment