Monday 14 March 2011

The greenhouse

Today is the day to sort out the greenhouse. It's looking a bit tired, full of cobwebs and things dumped in there over the winter.


I've also updated my garden diary-and have ended up with a list of things to do. What to plant, where and when.


My list has 5 headings:


1. Seeds to plant inside on a sunny windowsill - Tomatoes, Cucumber.


2. Things to plant in the greenhouse in seed trays - Courgettes, Beans, Broccoli.


3. Things to plant directly in the ground - Potatoes, Beetroot, Spring Onion, Peas, Radish, Spinach, Rocket, Lettuce, Salad leaves, Onion sets.


4. Things to sow directly into nice pots- Coriander, Basil, Parsley


5. Things to buy- Compost, Parsley seeds


I've written down next to each one when to plant it-so I know exactly what I'm doing and when.


This year I've ordered some new soil to fill my raised beds-this has mushroom compost in it and is perfect for growing vegetables. If I wasn't renewing my soil I would be digging in some well rotted manure from my friends horse or some chicken poo pellets from the garden centre.


My greenhouse soil is very tired-so I will need to dig this out and replace with some of the good soil. 


So my first job will be to plant tomtoes and cucumber seeds in trays and put them somewhere warm and bright-more of that in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment