Friday 15 April 2011

Tasty beans



So many amazing beans to choose from-I like to grow a few different ones otherwise I get bored of eating them.


French beans are my favourite-so easy to prepare and go with anything. Purple beans look really beautiful but turn green sadly when cooked. And of course the staple runner bean-old friends.


Beans are so easy to grow-sow them in a small pot about 3 beans to a pot-just poke them down into the compost about 1-2"deep. I put mine in the greenhouse and about 2 weeks later up they pop- you could also put them on a windowsill or indeed put them straight into the ground in situ. Once they are about 4" tall I shall pop them in the ground. The structure is already up. I normally plant 2 beans per each bean pole then if one gets eaten by the dreaded slugs it doesn't matter so much.


You can grow them very successfully in pots too-you'll just need to keep them well watered. 


I have a lovely recipe on my website which uses Salmon and green beans check it out at: www.easypeasyveg.net


While you're there I have a great competition to win some nice garden tools-why not enter?  I haven't had many entries yet so you never know-UK only I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment