Wednesday 13 April 2011

How to grow your own peas

Growing peas is one of my favourite things. My peas never make it to the kitchen-I stand in the garden and scoff the lot as they get nice and juicy in their beautiful pods- I regard this as one of the veg gardeners perks of the job. I never let them get too big otherwise they loose their sweetness.


So this is how I do it
Place 2 bean poles roughly 1ft apart and make troughs in the soil about 2" deep along each line-see picture. Water the troughs thoroughly.


Space your peas about 2-3" apart and push gently into the soil-so they don't move about when you cover them over.


Now construct your supports-I do a miniature version of my bean structure-See picture-Push short canes on the inside of each pea line into the soil slanting towards the centre and secure with string. Then fix a head cane along the top and secure. Take a look at the pic-it will become clearer!


Cover the peas over with soil.


If the peas look like they need more to cling onto when they come up I thread string around the poles to help them climb.


You can use old twigs for supports which look really nice.


Bingo - job done! 



No comments:

Post a Comment