Tuesday 16 April 2013

Limoncello recipe




This is an amazing drink I discovered last week whilst spending a night in St Ives. We had a great meal at St Andrews Bistro. The chef bought this out as a little treat at the end of our meal. It's so easy to make. I now have a rather nice bottle of it in my freezer!

I used cheap Tesco vodka and bought 6 shot glasses from Amazon. It's now a great addition to all my dinner parties!


Limoncello


Ingredients
5 unwaxed lemons
1l bottle vodka
750g caster sugar
700ml boiling water
Pare the zest from all the lemons, try not to get any white pith. Put the zest in a large clean jar and pour over the vodka. Cover with a tightly fitting lid and leave for a week, shaking the jar every  day.
Put the sugar in a saucepan and pour over the boiling water, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Once slightly cooled, add to the vodka and peelings and leave for a further week.
Decant into bottles ( I used the original vodka bottle...you'll find you have quite a large quantity of it, I'm keeping the bulk of mine in the storage jar then topping up my vodka bottle in the freezer when its running low!) add a few strips of lemon zest to each bottle. Just keep an eye on the bottle to make sure it doesn't completely freeze as its not pure alcohol!


No comments:

Post a Comment