Monday 18 July 2011

My guilty pleasure



There is something lurking in the garden I simply can't resist. Beetroot. The best thing of all though is a warm  beetroot and mayonnaise sandwhich on white bread-sounds disgusting doesn't it? Trust me it's heavenly!

Some lovely friends of mine asked me how to cook beetroot yesterday -so just in case you don't know here goes:

Pick your beetroot and shake off the excess mud, twist off the stalks (the bit the leaves are on) so you are left with the beet. Give them a good scrub then boil in a pan of water (the water must cover the beet). Depends on size but they take a while-maybe 30-40 mins-keep giving them a prod-when they are soft in the middle they are cooked. Take out of the pan-cool slightly then gently slice off the rooty bit and stalky bit then peel off the outer skin. 

I normally do about 4 in one go to last me a few days, they'll keep in the fridge for a couple of days.

My only wish is that I had grown a few more of them-they will all be gone in a few weeks time.

Oh one more thing-don't be alarmed if your wee goes pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment