Friday 23 September 2011

Crabapple jelly recipe






I have a beautiful golden hornet crabapple tree growing on the green outside my house. I'd always wondered if it was edible. This year it is abundant with fruit. My lovely dog walking friend Richard told me about the jelly you can make from it. So I had a go and here we are, a really appley jelly - lovely with meat particularly pork.

Recipe

750g of apples, 1250ml of water, 450g sugar for every 500ml of strained crabapple liquid, 1tsp lemon juice.

Wash the apples and put them in a large pan with the water -bring to the boil then simmer for about 45 mins with the lid on.

Strain through a jelly bag - this can take a couple of hours. Put this liquid in a pan with the sugar and the lemon juice. Boil and skim off the skum for about 15 mins.

Pour into sterilised jars.









No comments:

Post a Comment